If you like crispy coconut shrimp, this simple recipe is for you! I am not sure who came up with the idea to pair shrimp with coconut, but I can’t deny that the coconut’s tropical crunch on the outside with the creamy melt in your mouth shrimp inside is simply delicious.
During quarantine, I played with my food a lot! As a pescetarian, I’ve had my fair share of coconut shrimp, and usually, I’m upset because it’s either heavily breaded, too greasy, or it ruins the top of my mouth. After making this recipe, I am convinced that I have made the best coconut shrimp that I personally have ever had.
This air fryer coconut shrimp recipe is straightforward to make. They’re crispy, not greasy! I paired mine with protein waffles for a twist on the classic “chicken and waffles.” But they’re great on their own as a starter (entree) or appetizer or serve with a crisp Asian salad.
Ready to give these deliciously crispy coconut shrimp a try?
Course: Starter, Entree, Appetizer
Calories: 238 kcal Fat: 8g | Carbs 15g | Protein 22g
What You’ll Need:
- 6 oz Large Raw Shrimp
- 24 g Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 15 g Japanese Plain Panko Crumbs
- 1 large eggs + 2 egg whites
- (call on your ancestors or 0.2 tsp each) Honey Garlic Rub
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- brown sugar
- chili pepper
- 0.1 cup Spelt Flour
- 1 tbsp Arrow Root
How to Prepare:
- In a small mixing bowl, add flour, arrowroot powder, and spice blend.
- Place the shredded coconut in another small bowl, and another one, your egg mixture for coating.
- Coat the shrimp in your seasoned flour, dust it gently and then, dip it into your egg mixture, allowing any excess drip off, then place in your shredded coconut bowl, coat in coconut, and pack well, so the coconut sticks to the shrimp.
- Once coated, place in your air fryer coat with a fat-free spray and “fry” until golden brown flipping to ensure they cook evenly.
- Serve immediately.
- Freezing Instructions: Fried coconut shrimp freezes well, up to 2 months. Reheat for 10 minutes in a 350°F (177°C) oven– or until thawed and warm.
Enjoy my coconut shrimp, delicious!