Mac n Cheez au Gratin
Recipe type: Side
What you’ll need:
- 10 ounces dried macaroni
- 1 cup peeled/diced yellow potatoes
- ¼ cup peeled/diced carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup water (I used the liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt (or more depending on your preference)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- bread crumbs (make sure they’re vegan)
How to make it:
- Cook macaroni al dente in salted water, drain, and set aside.
- Boil chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend.
- Once your vegetables are soft enough to blend, remove them from your cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, coconut milk, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, pink Himalayan salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a baking dish. Taste for flavor and add additional salt if needed.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, and bake at 350 degrees until crumbs are turning golden brown.