Recipe type: Main/Side
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 peeled and diced eggplants
- 1 peeled and chopped coarsely chayote squash
- ½ diced cabbage
- 1 pack of watercress
- 2 carrots chopped coarsely
- 3 shallots diced
- 2 stalks green onion diced
- 1 medium bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 1 scotch bonnet/ habanero hot pepper (careful not to burst this pepper)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste diluted with water
- ½ teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- 4 cloves (poke them into your pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
How to make it:
- First, add the cabbage and eggplant to boiling water and allow to steam, halfway through adding the carrots, and chayote. Vegetables should be tender yet al dente
- Remove from heat, taking aside your carrots and chayote.
- Using a pilon mash your vegetables together.
- In a warm skillet add 1-2 tbsp olive oil, saute your onion, shallots, green onion until fragrant, folding in your steamed vegetable mash.
- Add your bouillon cube, habanero pepper with cloves, 1 tbsp tomato paste and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let cook approx 10 minutes with medium heat stirring as needed.
- Taste, adjust seasonings.
- Serve with black rice and beans or brown rice white rice